Environmental Hydraulics Laboratory LHE

History of LHE

The creation in 1928

The Environmental Hydraulics Laboratory is the heir to a long tradition of research in hydraulics. Hydraulic Research began in Lausanne in the mid 1920s in the development of "houille blanche" (hydropower). In 1928, Alfred Stucky created Hydraulic Testing Laboratory. He was joined in 1947 by Daniel Bonnard, who became the director of the laboratory in 1958. In 1968, the Polytechnic School of the University of Lausanne (EPUL) became the Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne. In 1973, Professor Walter Graf is named hydraulic EPFL professor .


Alfred Stucky, director from 1928 to 1958 Danniel Bonnard, director from 1958 to 1973 Walter Graf, director from 1973 to 2001 Christophe Ancey, director since 2004

The split in 1982

In 1978, the hydraulics laboratory became LHYDREP. Then in 1982, it is divided into two parts:

The revival in 2003

Since late 2003, the team of Prof. Christophe Ancey turned his attention to the various forms of transport of materials in water (in its different states) with the rheological point of view. Many generators flows risks to human activities are induced by the flow of water : floods on safe watercourse, but also debris flows (highly concentrated sediment transport form) and avalanches. As an application of this research should we mention the development of tools for risk management and planning : risk zoning, design of protective structures, evaluation of long-term behavior of watersheds and rivers.


LHE News


Field of expertise of LHE

  • Geophysical fluid mechanics
  • Snow avalanches
  • Torrential hydraulics
  • Risk management (in mountain areas)
  • Rheology of suspensions
  • Particulate flows

Contacts

Laboratoire d'Hydraulique Environnementale (LHE)

EPFL-ENAC-LHE
Station 18
CH-1015 Lausanne
show on campus map

Tél: +41 (0) 21 693 23 75
Fax: +41 (0) 21 693 67 67