Environmental Hydraulics Laboratory LHE
1. Organisation of conferences
In October, in close partnership with Ian Frigaard and Neil Balmforth (UBC), we organized a workshop at Monte Verita. The overall goal of the workshop is to promote interactions between people from different communities. It is guessed that major cross-institutional research advances can be achieved in the general domain of plastic fluids, that would not be addressed without the formation of this interacting group.
The workshop proceedings were published in the Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, in the April 2009 issue.
2. Lectures given at international conferences
- E. Travaglini, E. Bardou, Analysis of sediment transport from recorded signals of sediments in a gravel-bed river: role of sediment availability, IAEG XII Congress, Torino 15-19 Sep. 2014
- J. Heyman and C. Ancey, Tracking bed load particles in a steep flume: methods and results, River Flow Conference, Lausanne, 2-7 Sep. 2014.
- C. Ancey, Tracking bed load particles in a steep flume: methods and results, River Flow Conference, Lausanne, 2-7 Sep. 2014.
- C. Ancey, J. Heyman, and P. Bohorquez Fluctuations of particle transport rates in graved-bed rivers or the quest for equilibrium? 3rd IAHR Europe Congress, Porto, Portugal, 14-16 April 2014
- C. Ancey, Fluid avalanches, Simulation of avalanches : modelling and numerics, Sevilla, 11-14 March 2014.
- C. Ancey, Why don’t avalanche-dynamics models of higher complexity necessarily lead to better predictions?, International Snow Science Workshop 2013, Grenoble, 7-11 Sep. 2013.
Field of expertise of LHE
- Geophysical fluid mechanics
- Snow avalanches
- Torrential hydraulics
- Risk management (in mountain areas)
- Rheology of suspensions
- Particulate flows
Laboratoire d'Hydraulique Environnementale (LHE)
show on campus map
Fax: +41 (0) 21 693 67 67